Monday, September 3, 2012

Cooking in Den Haag: Mushroom Rice

In Den Haag, I am living in a small, fully furnished apartment with a functional kitchen. I have never really cooked, and far from being good at it, I'm not sure I even know the basics, so the Cooking at Home in Den Haag series is going to cover all my experiments here :)

Mushroom Rice

I only had a few basics that I could recognize and pick up from my first trip to the super market here. So, with limited ingredients and no idea what to do with them, I tried making rice and plonking some mushrooms in.

What I used:

2 cloves of Garlic
1 small White Onion
around 4-5 Cherry Tomatos
around 4-5 big fat juicy-looking Mushrooms
about 1 cup of Rice
about 1 tsp Jeera
pinch of Red Chilli powder
pinch of Salt
Oil


Roughly diced the mushrooms, sliced the tomatoes and chopped the garlic and onions.


Heated some oil, put in some jeera, let it sizzle.


Added the garlic and onions and let it cook till yummy smells started.


Threw in the tomatoes, cooked it all together for a while, then added the mushrooms and let them cook.


Finally added the rice, 2 and a half cups of water and covered the pot. I've only made rice in a pressure cooker, so I'm not sure how much time/water it takes to cook like this. I kept checking every 5 minutes, and also added a bit of water at the end so that the rice steamed properly.


Finally, the mushroom rice. It was quite nice :) Just a little bland. I think it would be nice with yogurt, and maybe some more spices, but I didn't have any.


:)

No comments:

Post a Comment